- This event has passed.
International Symposium on Soil- and Water Bioengineering in a Changing Climate
07/09/2017 - 08/09/2017
Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU) incollaboration with the European Federation of Soiland Water Bioengineering (EFIB) and support from the ECOMED Erasmus+ project, organise the International Symposiumon Soil-and Water-Bioengineering in a Changing Climate, held on the 7th and 8th of September 2017.
The aim of the symposium is to present and discuss the possibilities offered by the technical discipline of Soil-and Water-Bioengineering to the ecological, economic, and societal challenges faced within a changing climate. As a society are experiencing a period of uncertainty, in which we perceive that the solutions could come from finding a balance within our environment based on the sustainable management of our ecosystems, the restoration of their functionality and services, and the use of nature-based construction systems such as soil-and water-bioengineering techniques. It is envisaged that UK practitioners and researchers will foster a deeper and more meaningful relationship with their international counterparts at the symposium by sharing experiences around common areas of interest.
Thematic Areas Works related to the restoration of degraded areas, using primarily water- and soil-bioengineering techniques belonging to the following areas:
- River restoration and revitalisation
- Storm water management and rain gardens
- Regeneration of wetlands, , reservoirs and coastal areas
- Hydro forest restoration activities in mountain areas, slope stabilization
- Linear infrastructures: highways, gas pipelines and railways
- Extractive activities, mines, quarries and landfills
- Urban and periurban areas
- Fire affected areas
- Technics, materials, modelisation and calculation in Soil and Water Bioengineering